We are constantly getting donations for the Local History Room and digitizing new materials. Check back on this page often to see every new addition to the room.
September 30, 2021
- Ethel Sidle Photograph
- This is a carte de visite of a young child wearing a white dress. The photo was taken at Besaw Studeo in Richwood, Ohio. The name Ethyl Sidle is written on the back. The photo is believed to be of Ethel A. Sidle (1887-1983) of Richwood. She is currently buried at Claibourne Cemetery.
- Richwood Presbyterian Church Postcard 1908
- A postcard stamped November 23, 1908 which displays the Richwood Presbyterian Church on the front. Correspondence on the back was to a Mr. Orville Richolson in Rockford, Ill. The building which housed the church is still standing (although it is not longer a church) and is located at 101 E. Blagrove St.
- Unidentified Mother and Child Photograph
- This is a portrait of an unidentified mother with her child on a carte de visite taken at A. Watson's Art Gallery in Richwood, Ohio.
- Unidentified Woman Photograph
- This is a portrait of an unidentified woman on a carte de visite taken at the Besaw Studio in Richwood, Ohio.
September 9, 2021
- Farmers Deposit Bank Souvenir Pouch 1922
- This pouch was given out to customers that deposited money in the Farmers Deposit Bank. The bank was located at 13 N. Franklin St. from 1910 to 1939 when the bank closed because of the effects of the Great Depression. A group of five men were charged with robbing the Farmers Deposit Bank, taking over $10,000. The five men were dividing up the loot obtained from another heist at the Grove City Bank when they were captured by the Canton police. The supposed ringleader of the gang, Frank Circone, was identified and arrested thanks to the two cashiers who worked at the bank and identified his face in a photograph. Frank was sentenced to 30 years for the robbery.
- Richwood Bank Postcard 1873
- This postcard of the Bank of Richwood was written by W.H. Conkright, the president of the bank at the time, to a McElroy and a Poffleton in Delaware, Ohio. The Richwood Bank is the only bank and business in Richwood which is still in operation since its founding ca. 1870.
- Richwood Presbyterian Church Postcard 1920
- A postcard from 1920 which displays the Richwood Presbyterian Church on the front. The building which housed the church is still standing (although it is not longer a church) and is located at 101 E. Blagrove St.
- Unidentified Girl Photograph
- This is a portrait of an unidentified female toddler posing next to a chair on a carte de visite taken at the W. A. Biddle Studio in Richwood, Ohio.
- Varuna Park Postcard 1911
- This postcard was created to advertise Varuna Park located in Richwood (despite the postcard claiming it was in Magnetic Springs). The Park, located near what is now the fairgrounds, was originally used as a “pleasure resort” which opened in 1901. It contained a bath house along with a bottling plant to bottle the “god of waters.” It was discovered a few years prior that the water in this location was full of highly sulphonated minerals and it was believed that it contained healing properties. The fate of the park, along with the Varuna Water Bottling Company, was short lived although it is unknown when exactly the plant disappeared.